[hobbit] Large Log Files

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Wed Nov 29 19:31:25 CET 2006

James,

You might need to write your own log checker to generate something that
Hobbit can catch.  Hobbit was not really designed to handle large log
file volumes.  The MAX variable, if I remember correctly, tells how much
data the Hobbit client should sift through.  Once this limit is reached,
it just pumps what's left -- but I may have that wrong.

One way to do it might be to "tail" the log file and pipe the data
through grep on the way to another log file, which you can then have
Hobbit watch.  The problem you will have is keeping up with the log
files as they rotate.  Perhaps someone else on the list can pipe up with
how that can be done -- maybe by monitoring the file name associated
with the inode?  Of if there is no data for x amount of time, switching?
All this may be more than a simple shell script can handle, so you may
need to write something in Perl or C or whatever.

My two cents worth -- you can have a receipt if you need one...

GLH