[hobbit] HTTP Test Timeout & Delays

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Fri Nov 17 09:33:43 CET 2006

On Thursday 16 November 2006 16:31, James Wade wrote:
> I'm having problems with the HTTP test.
>
> Yesterday, I added additional URL's to monitor.
> We monitor a load of URL's, and yesterday, I added a lot.
>
> After adding the additional URL's, I started getting Timeouts
> across the board. If I look at the graph for old URL's, it
> shows the graph increasing at the same time I implemented
> all the new URL's yesterday.
>
> ie. I went from about 30 to 60 URL's.
>
> Does Hobbit stager URL checks? Is there a way to stager them?
I have a similar problem.  I have +/- 200 netwerk tests (ping, ...) and +/- 20
http tests.  All on local LAN.  I added a second hobbit server on a remote
connection (1mbps) and I had lots of timeout on the http checks.

Hobbit is doing per default 254 network checks in parallel.  Let's say the
first packet is 1 kbyte this means 254 kbyte/s.  And I only have a 1mb(it)ps
line!!!  The solution was limiting bbnet to only 4 parallel
checks --concurrency=4 to the bbnet start command.

Actullay, the strange thing is that there is a load balancer involved.  So if
I do the remote check http and use the load balancer, I get +10 seconds.
Directly to the http server gives a normal result.  This is only for the 254
parallel checks, 4 parallel checks and everything is normal.

Stef