[hobbit] Looking for suggestions on hobbit SLA reporting

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Aug 30 23:03:44 CEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 04:10:41PM -0400, Kauffman, Tom wrote:

> First -- from a management perspective, our primary application (SAP
> R/3) is either available for use or down. We have a stated objective of
> some % uptime. Scheduled outages are charged just like unscheduled. So
> if we take the system for a scheduled 12-hour upgrade, we get charged
> with 12 hours against our total availability.
>
> This means that 'blue' status is the same as 'red' -- the guys in the
> field can't use it, it's not available, and management doesn't care that
> it's a scheduled outage.
[snip]
> Henrik, is there a (relatively) easy way to convince the sla report
> funtion to consider 'blue' and/or 'clear' as 'red' for reporting?

You'll have to change the Hobbit source to do that, but it is fairly
simple. In the lib/availability.c file around line 500 is where it
decides what colors go into the availability percentage. That line
reads:

  repinfo->reportavailability =
     100.0 - repinfo->reportpct[COL_RED] - repinfo->reportpct[COL_CLEAR];

As you can see, "clear" and "red" go together. So you just need to add
"blue" to the list, so it becomes

  repinfo->reportavailability =
     100.0 - repinfo->reportpct[COL_RED] - repinfo->reportpct[COL_CLEAR] - repinfo->reportpct[COL_BLUE];

> The second problem -- 'red' doesn't always mean "it's dead, Jim"; it can
> also mean "somebody better look at this quick, BEFORE it dies". But we
> don't want to page on yellow, even on this system.
>
> Suggestions?

Well, that *is* what the yellow color was intended for. You do know that
you can configure the alerts to go out on yellow for just a single
system or test?

> (Is there any way to add 'hot pink' as a status between 'yellow' and

Or "orange" ... in theory, yes - but I am not at all sure how many
places in the Hobbit code would need changing to make sure they are
all right when there's suddenly one more color to handle.