Looking for suggestions on hobbit SLA reporting

Kauffman, Tom KauffmanT at nibco.com
Wed Aug 30 22:10:41 CEST 2006

I can't currently use the hobbit SLA reporting, as much as I would like
to. I've got two problems with the current setup, and can't figure a way
around them both.

First -- from a management perspective, our primary application (SAP
R/3) is either available for use or down. We have a stated objective of
some % uptime. Scheduled outages are charged just like unscheduled. So
if we take the system for a scheduled 12-hour upgrade, we get charged
with 12 hours against our total availability.

This means that 'blue' status is the same as 'red' -- the guys in the
field can't use it, it's not available, and management doesn't care that
it's a scheduled outage. (Yes, if we take ALL our allocated down time
AND run our normal off-line weekly backup, we will *not* meet our SLA by
about 10 hours -- based on current backup run time; and that's not to
mention the three unscheduled outages so far this year).

The second problem -- 'red' doesn't always mean "it's dead, Jim"; it can
also mean "somebody better look at this quick, BEFORE it dies". But we
don't want to page on yellow, even on this system.

Suggestions?

Henrik, is there a (relatively) easy way to convince the sla report
funtion to consider 'blue' and/or 'clear' as 'red' for reporting?

For this particular application, I have a potential ugly hack. We run an
in-house test that verifies the SAP central instance can access the
Oracle database; it reports 'green' or 'red'. It also checks to see if
the off-line backup is running, and reports 'blue' with no attempt at a
test. I could always take out the test for the backup and let the test
go red, altering the alert config to not page for this test during the
scheduled backup window.

But that leaves me altering the alert config to shut paging off during a
scheduled 'down' instead of using the 'disable' function . . .

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc

(Is there any way to add 'hot pink' as a status between 'yellow' and

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the
exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in
reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message
and its attachments from your computer system. We do not waive
attorney-client or work product privilege by the transmission of this
message.