[hobbit] Hobbit cluster and DRDB

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 18 00:27:37 CEST 2006

> Hi Brothers,
>
> Just read an article in Linux Journal about using DRDB as a "cluster"
> filesystem for a redundant installation of sendmail and mysql. This has
> caused me to think that this could be a way forward as a cluster mecanism
> for hobbit.

Yea, I read the article as well. I was attempting  implement BB +DRBD
on RH Linux but the project stopped due to other priority.

During test phase I was able to simluate the outage of a webser server
on A to cause slave server (B) to shoot down A and take over its ip address
via private subnet in between etc ...

> Currently I run a rdist job for this and then have a manual intervention
> for starting up hobbit on the secondary node.
>
> I know from when I last looked at DRDB that the IO performance as a
> problem with BB but with Hobbit I am prety sure it should work.

I do remember the sync between two nodes was great but I didn't
really deploy bb on bother server so I don't now how it really run.

> I am wondering if any of you have experienced with the
> DRDB/heartbeat/hobbit and what your impressions are ?

I am less interested about BB+DRBD+RHLinux combination
for implementing system monitoring clustering. Instead, I am more
interested about Hobbit+Solaris 10+Sun Cluster software.
Sorry to hijack your subject into mine.

Sun Cluster software is now free for use( see R1)

R1: http://www.sun.com/software/cluster/

tj