[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may Ilose from migrating?

J Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Aug 2 07:18:36 CEST 2006

Brodie, Kent wrote:
> Basically, you lose NOTHING when you change a BB server to a Hobbit
> server.    At first, it'll look very similar.    Life will be good.
> The BB clients can run untouched.
>
> However- once you start setting up a few *Hobbit* clients, you'll
> quickly see what Hobbit DOES-- and what a typical BB client does NOT do.
>
> That's the moment when you'll race to wipe BB completely.  Took me about
> a week. :-)

We'd like to replace bb with hobbit but there's no way we can't do without the
bb failover mechanism. We have 2 separate data centers, and while there are bb
servers in both data centers monitoring the hosts on both sides, only side "a"
does notifications. When side "b" can not reach side "a", then side "b" "fails
over" and takes on the notification tasks, until side "a" becomes reachable again.

There's nothing like that in hobbit yet, but if there were, we'd be able to
make the switch.