Availability Report calculation

Gee Pee peter.welter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 13:39:30 CET 2005

Hi Henrik,

I'm running on my test-server Hobbit 4.1.2p1. I've run the 3 cronjobs
from the hobbitreports.sh-header (a great and very welcome feature!)
and I'm studying the generated reports. I see a discrepancy between
the man-page and the calculations. I have no REPORRTIME set. I would
like to read your comment on my two observations.

First: When I look at yesterday's generated availability report, it
says everything is fine (the solid green boxes). But when I look at
the history, I can see that soms services (msgs fi) had the status
'clear' the entire day(!), so it should be calculated to 'red'
according to the man-page (see below). However, I _do_ prefer this
behaviour, that clear is calculated as green, because this means that
(1) the host was up, (2) the test has run and valid data was
received. But than the man-pages should be adapted.

Second: I also have some tests that had the status 'purple' the
entire day(!) and that is treated as 'OK' too (the solid green
boxes)!? This is correct according to the same man-page, but I would
say that purple should not be calculated as solid green boxes. In my
case NO test data was reported the entire day. I would suggest it
should show on the availability report in red digits 0%.

Kind regards and thanks again (and again and...) for making such a
GREAT product!

Peter

 From the man-page (.../bb-hosts.5.html#lbAK):
[snip]

* Only measurements done during the given time period is used for the
calculation.
* "blue" time reduces the length of the report interval, so if you
are generating a report for a 10-hour period and there are 20 minutes
of "blue" time, then the availability calculation will consider the
reporting period to be 580 minutes (10 hours minus 20 minutes). This
allows you to have scheduled downtime during the REPORTTIME interval
without hurting your availability; this is (I believe) the whole idea
of the downtime being "planned".
* "red" and "clear" status counts as downtime; "yellow" and "green"
count as uptime. "purple" time is ignored.

The availability calculation correctly handles status changes that
cross into/out of a REPORTTIME interval.

If no REPORTTIME is given, the standard 24x7 calculation is used.

[snip]