[hobbit] unknown host question

Frédéric Mangeant frederic.mangeant at steria.com
Wed Jul 27 14:28:17 CEST 2005

Olivier Beau a écrit :

>Hi all,
>
>when i comment an entry in my bb-hosts file,
>the host disappears from the display, which is normal.
>
>i haven't done a "drop hostname" yet,
>and , i don't see any "unknown host" in my log files..
>
>this brings me to the question : if someone deletes hosts in the bb-hosts file,
>how do i know which hosts to "drop" ?

Hi Olivier

if you run hobbitd with the option "--ghosts=log", you'll see them in
the "hobbitd" colum. Here's an example :

Ghost reports:
  10.50.8.10      reported host cyclopes

The man page says that :

--ghosts={allow|drop|log}
              How to handle status messages from unknown  hosts.  The
"allow"
              setting  accepts  all status messages, regardless of
whether the
              host is known in the  bb-hosts  file  or  not.  "drop"
silently
              ignores  reports  from unknown hosts. "log" works like
drop, but
              logs the event in the  hobbitd  output  file.   The
default  is
              "allow", unless the BBGHOSTS environment variable is set.

--

Frédéric Mangeant

Steria EDC Sophia-Antipolis