Failover Servers

Peter Murray PBMURRAY at syr.edu
Wed Jul 20 22:23:58 CEST 2005

I have two Hobbit servers with the intent of using one as a failover
server.  Each is set up to monitor the same hosts.  They differ in how
the Hobbit servers themselves are defined.  Within the primary server I
have "# BBDISPLAY BBPAGER BBNET bbd http://primary-server" for the
primary server and nothing additional for the failover.  Within the
failover server I have "# BBDISPLAY BBPAGER BBNET bbd
http://failover-server" for the failover server and nothing
additional for the primary. (Yes, I did simplify the names for purpose
of illustration.)  Both servers sit outside of a firewall and monitor
servers on each side of the firewall.

When either server is up and the other down everything is fine.  Or, if
both servers are up and I modify their bb-hosts file so that they don't
know of each other, everything is fine as well.  However, when both
servers are up and one knows of the other it's a different story.  The
"conn" column for the monitored servers that reside behind the firewall
goes red, even though I can still successfully ping those servers.
These fluctuate between red and green about every minute.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.  A couple of months ago it was
mentioned that a detailed walk-through of how to setup two Hobbit
servers existed (Brian Lynch?).  Is this document available for
downloading or does anyone have any thoughts as to how to solve this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Peter Murray
Computing & Media Services