Need some pointers on logrotate script..

Hobbit, Visions.se hobbit at visions.se
Fri Jul 15 18:43:39 CEST 2005

Hey,

Trying to fix so that my logrotate will add a line at the top after each
rotation so that /var/log/messages file wont be empty (dont want to
disable lenght checking through bb client - since the log might be
emptied if a box is hacked).

This is how my /etc/logrotate.d/syslog looks like:

/var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler
/var/log/boot.log /var/log/cron {
     sharedscripts
     postrotate
         /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2>
/dev/null || true
     endscript
}

This is what I think I should change it to (never touched these kinda
files before):

/var/log/messages {
     postrotate
         /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2>
/dev/null || true
         echo '### This file has been rotated by logrotate ###' >>
/var/log/messages
     endscript
}

/var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/spooler /var/log/boot.log
/var/log/cron {
     sharedscripts
     postrotate
         /bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2>
/dev/null || true
     endscript
}

Will this work?