[hobbit] Hobbit 4.0 beta-6 available

Kimberly McKinnis kmckinnis at macrovision.com
Mon Jan 24 20:39:02 CET 2005

Thanks :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Georgoulias [mailto:tgeorgoulias at nandomedia.com]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:47 AM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Hobbit 4.0 beta-6 available

Kimberly McKinnis wrote:
> So when I untar it to a new folder (/usr/local/hobbit-4.0-beta5), I
> have to copy over all my configs to the new folder
> (/usr/local/hobbit-4.0-beta6)? Like bb-hosts, etc? Maybe I need
> caffeine, because I am clearly missing something.

I untarred it in /tmp/hobbit-4.0-beta6 and built it from there, using
the user ID I wanted to run it under, without copying over any of my
config files from the working server.  When I ran the ./configure, it
prompted me for all the usual stuff (like fping, install location, user
id, etc.) and I entered the same settings that I used for beta5.

After that "make", then "make setup" as root.  I figured that Henrik's
comment in his beta5 email about the old config files (i.e. bb-hosts)
not being written over was still in effect, so I went for it and it
didn't erase any of them.

After the setup was done, I added the HEARTBEAT variable and restarted.

To answer Bruce's question, I used make setup instead of make install
because that was the command Henrik said to use in his beta5 upgrade
instructions.  Since beta6 didn't mention any particular method, I
figured it was a safe bet since I haven't done a whole lot to hobbit
that I couldn't redo in a matter of minutes.  Here's the excerpt from
his message:

===
  Upgrading from beta-4 -> beta-5: Unpack beta-5, run "configure",
"make" and "make setup". It will *not* overwrite your configuration
files (despite the warning). I recommend that you copy the new
hobbitserver.cfg and hobbitgraph.cfg files to your ~hobbit/server/etc
directory, since some settings were added.
===

hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk