[hobbit] maint.pl with no email

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 25 23:22:34 CET 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:11:03AM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 02:23:47PM, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:49:46AM -0500, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> >
> > > In bigbrother the following code of maint.pl were able to send a page.
> > >
> > > "&bbsend("now","$bbpager","page notify-admin.maint enable\n\nThe f
> > > ollowing at jobs that were scheduled to disable tests have been
> > > CANCELLED\nDate: " . &POSIX_time(
> > > $nowtime) . "\n$cancelledby$notification");"
> > >
> > > But in Hobbit I tried with the same code and it did not send any
> > > page.
> >
> > That is because Hobbit doesn't support the BB "page" protocol. If
> > you send hobbitd such a request, it is silently dropped. I've updated
> > the bb man-page to reflect this.
> >
> > Alerts in Hobbit happen as a result of a "status" message. The magic
> > "notify-admin" hostname does not exist in Hobbit.

> 1.2.3.4	notify-admin # noconn maint
>
> The above entry should take care of it?

Well, it defines the "notify-admin" host. But Hobbit will *still*
ignore the message that maint.pl sends, because it's a "page" message.

Frankly, this part of maint.pl is just plain broken. What's the point
in sending this notification? If it were to be meaningful, it should
go to the person who scheduled the disable-operation, not some random
"notify-admin" recipient. And why only send the message when it's
canceled ? It would make more sense to send out messages when the host
was actually disabled - e.g. to the people who would otherwise receive
the alerts, so that when someone calls them about the server that
isn't working they would know why they haven't received any alerts.

If you do want to get messages when a disable is cancelled, I think
you should just stick in a call to send an e-mail.