[hobbit] Problems with custom RRD graphs

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Feb 17 07:55:57 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 01:24:55PM +1300, Andy France wrote:

> I've written my --extra-script (based on the sample in the hobbitd_larrd
> man page) and added this as well my columns for the --extra-tests in
> hobbitlaunch.cfg under the larrdstatus command.

Brave man - you're  the first to try out this mechanism for real:-)

> My script is getting executed OK.  I've added some debug messages which get
> appended to a log file and most things are running as expected.  However,
> I'm getting no actual data, no rrd files and no graphs :-(
>
> It seems the the $FNAME parameter is not giving me what it shoud, and this
> is causing my tests to echo the DS line, the rrd file name, but an empty
> data string.

Some shell's do have slightly different syntax than what the example
script in the man-page shows.  You could try just echo'ing the input
parameters to some file and see what they are. Like

   echo "Input 1: $1" > /tmp/params.txt
   echo "Input 2: $2" >>/tmp/params.txt
   echo "Input 3: $3" >>/tmp/params.txt

at the top of your script (before they get put into the $FNAME etc).

> I'm running 4.0-RC2 on Solaris 9 x86.

Something in the back of my head says: Could you try putting the
input params inside curly brackets ? Instead of

             HOSTNAME="$1"
             TESTNAME="$2"
             FNAME="$3"

try