[hobbit] SLA\Availability Reports

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Dec 7 17:52:33 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:13:15AM -0500, Bill Perez wrote:

> I am looking for some more information on the SLA reporting options within
> Hobbit (running 4.1.2 on Fedora Core 4).  In the past I used the SLA Report
> script from deadcat.net for Big Brother where anyone could go to the report
> page, select their date range and the SLA Report button.  Within the
> SLAreport script I had specified the servers we wanted to report on,
> options, timeframe.
> I have read the man pages for bbgen, bb-hosts and bb-replog but
> am not sure how to get this same functionality out of Hobbit.  I would like
> our metrics person to be able to access the URL to select the date range and
> have it return on only our production servers from 7am-7pm.  I tried using
> hobbitreports.sh and modified the time, but it still showed up as 24x7 when
> I generated the report and also wasn't sure where to specify only specific
> hosts within that file.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hobbit basically reads the hostlist from the bb-hosts file - any host
listed there is included in the report. So if you want a report with
only a select set of hosts, you'll need to generate a special bb-hosts
file with only those hosts in it.

To use this special bb-hosts file, setup a script to run the report:

   #!/bin/sh

   BBHOSTS=/home/hobbit/server/etc/report-hosts
   export BBHOSTS
   bbgen --reportopts=.....

and run it with "bbcmd myreportscript". You may want to look at the
hobbitreports.sh script included in Hobbit - it lets you pre-generate
reports on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

Inside the bb-hosts file, you can then use the REPORTTIME parameter for
each host to define the time-of-day included where outages count in the
SLA calculations that the report provides. If you use the same period
for all hosts, it's probably easiest to define this using a ".default."
host at the top of the bb-hosts file. E.g.

  0.0.0.0 .default. # REPORTTIME=W:0700:1900

defines the default report-time to be weekdays from 7AM to 7PM. These
parameters and the ".default." hosts are described in the bb-hosts
man-page.