4.0.3rc1 available

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 25 23:02:37 CEST 2005

I've put together a 4.0.3rc1 package - it's available at
http://www.hswn.dk/beta/hobbit-4.0.3rc1.tar.gz

This obviously has all the fixes that have been patched since the
4.0.2 release.

It also includes the new enable/disable tool - there's no man-page for
it yet, but I'll write one before the release. I have improved on this
compared to the "maintenance-feature-v2" patch, by adding a simple way
of enabling all tests for a host, or even multiple tests for all
hosts. In other words, I think this one should satisfy everyone here.
And hopefully it will also work on HP-UX; I think I understand the CGI
"POST" specs now.

Paul Backer's favicons are also in there.

Based on the feedback last week, I decided to rip out the Big Brother
compatibility code that had accumulated in Hobbit. (Just the BB server
compatibility code - Hobbit still works fine with BB clients). It
wasn't a lot of code, actually: This was almost entirely confined to
the "bbgen" tool and how it loads the current state of Hobbit when it
builds the webpages. So most of this clean-up job was going through
the documentation, but it did result in a much needed cleanup of the
purple-handling code in bbgen. So "--purplelog" actually works now.

The full Changelog is below.

I expect this to be very close to the final 4.0.3, but I would like it
to have a bit of testing with you - especially the final version of
the enable/disable tool, and any breakage caused by the removal of BB
compatibility.

Note that if you upgrade, then the ~/data/www/menu/menu_items.js file
will *not* automatically be changed to point at the new
"hobbit-enadis.sh" tool instead of "maint.pl" - you'll need to do that
change by hand.

Changes from 4.0.2 -> 4.0.3
---------------------------
Bugfixes:
* Acknowledgments were broken in 4.0.2.
* Fix file-descriptor leak in the "setup-newfiles" tool
  used during installation. This could cause "make install"
  to abort while installing new files, on systems with a
  low setting for the max. number of simultaneous open files.
* The BBALPHAMSG text passed to scripts as a default alert
  message now includes the URL link to the statuslog.
* Some header/footer files for the snapshot report HTML docs
  were missing.
* The bb-datepage CGI tool was reading the POST data in
  an incorrect way; it worked on most systems, but did not
  adhere to the CGI specification.
* The "info_header" and "info_footer" files were not being
  used for the "info" column pages.
* Using PAGE=... in hobbit-alerts.cfg to pick out hosts
  on the front-page was not possible. The front page is
  now recognized with the name "/", so PAGE=/ will find
  them.
* hobbitgraph.cgi could show "@RRDPARAM@" on graphs if
  it was matched by a NULL string (would happen for mailq
  graphs).
* The "disk1" graph definition failed to take into account
  that the numbers logged were already in KB of data. So
  the axis-label was wrong.
* RRD files were not being updated while a status was
  blue (disabled), even though status messages were received.
  Changed so that blue logs are passed off to the RRD
  parser - we might as well track data when it's there.
* The "mailq" RRD handler now finds the queue-length
  regardless of whether it is before or after the "requests"
  keyword in the "mailq" or "nmailq" status message.

Improvements:
* All remnants of Big Brother compatibility have been
  removed. If you want to stick with the old Big Brother
  tool, use bbgen. This allowed for some much needed
  cleaning up of the bbgen code that loaded the status
  data, especially for the handling of purple status logs.
* The maint.pl script has been removed. A new tool,
  hobbit-enadis.cgi, replaces this with a native Hobbit
  tool. If you are upgrading, you should change the
  ~/server/www/menu/menu_items.js file to point link to
  "hobbit-enadis.sh" instead of "maint.pl".
* The "info" column page now includes a form to disable
  and enable tests for a single host. If you prefer not
  to have this on the info page, add the option "--no-disable"
  to the hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh wrapper.
* The hobbit-mailack CGI will now find a "delay=DURATION"
  line in the mail message, and use that as the duration of
  the acknowledgment. Reports show that there are some
  types of mail/SMS systems where you cannot modify the
  message subject.
* Paul D. Backer contributed "favicon" images generated
  from the Hobbit "recent" GIF files. These have been added
  and are now loaded from the Hobbit web/*_header files,
  so that browsers supporting this (Mozilla, Firefox) will
  display a favicon-image in the titlebar or on the
  page-tab holding the Hobbit webpage.