[Xymon] 'Invalid timespec' in xymond.log

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Nov 27 20:23:54 CET 2023

I'm seeing messages like this

> Invalid timespec - expected 4 digits, got: '*:*'
> Invalid timespec - expected 4 digits, got: '*'
> Invalid timespec - expected 4 digits, got: '*:*'
> Invalid timespec - expected 4 digits, got: '*'

pop up in my xymond.log. They've been there for ages, so this is nothing
new. I've poked at them before, to no satisfaction.

I think this came out of the 'minutes' function in lib/timefunc.c

But what was the input which was passed through that function, to
generate the error?

I have 'DOWNTIME' specifications like

> DOWNTIME=60:*:*;*:1630:0800

But there are 21 of those in hosts.cfg, and I don't have that many
complaints in the log.

Does anyone else have a suggestion where to look? or how to
interactively run some parsing commands to tease out the source?

Maybe that function is used for more than parsing the configs? Could the
source of the errors be from messages passed into the server from clients?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska