[Xymon] Encryption

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Thu Aug 24 01:41:25 CEST 2023

Stef

Nice idea on the Powershell patch. We don't monitor Windows hosts where I
use Xymon, but others in this list might benefit.

Is the PS client able to use https natively, or do you need to install
curl.exe on those hosts?

I'm interested in the wget/curl option. Have you had an opportunity to
compare performance impact on the server running xymond and the CGI script
vs the native TCP/1984 method? This is perhaps my biggest concern, knowing
that xymond is written with high-performance socket handling, and although
Apache also has code optimised thusly, the CGI script execution might
become a bottleneck. I fear stunnel and similar solutions would suffer from
the same problem, due to (I assume) being written for low socket turn-over
environments.

Does the CGI provide the client local data (from client-local.cfg) to the
client?

I'd be interested to see a HOWTO on this, even though it seems simple
enough. If the CGI option works out for us, we'll be able to cut over a
large proportion of hosts.

However we have a sizeable proportion of hosts that cannot make connections
to the Xymon server, and so we have to do funky things like ssh from xymons
server to client, setup a reverse tunnel and adjust XYMSRV to 127.0.0.1.
It's encrypted, but it's not particularly clean, and we have to all sorts
of extra hacks to support dual Xymon servers (so that the client message
tempfile for one Xymon server isn't stomped on by the second instance
running for the other Xymon server, and so the reverse tunnels don't
interfere with each others' listening ports). I'm investigating using
msgcache/xymonfetch option designed for server->client connections, but
it's non-trivial to have it work through an ssh tunnel, and so far I've not
succeeded.