[Xymon] Encryption

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Wed Aug 23 13:57:16 CEST 2023

Hi,

We solved the encryption by using a wget and/or curl script alternative
for the xymon client. It's a drop-in replacement.
We have a setup script that checks if wget or cups exists and it creates
a symlink for the xymon command to the script that works.
The script uses a username and password to connect to xymoncgimsg.cgi
over https to send the data.
We use 1 username / paswoord for all clients but with some scripting you
can give each client it's own username / password.

If wget or cups is not available (some old AIX servers can not connect
to a https server...), the good old binary is used without encryption :(

I can document it somewhere if anyone is interested.
It's not that complicated.

For the Windows clients we also use https as much as possible.

I have some patches for the Powershell client that allows for testing a
new XML file. We want to manage the XML files centrally and want to
avoid mistakes that can disable the client. So this allows us to test a
new config file before overwriting the old one.
I also added the ping test command for this and did some changes so data
can be send to multiple Xymon servers.
I will create some patches and send them to the mailinglist.

Stef