[Xymon] Xymon, community, updates, and directions (was Re: Is this thing on?)

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Aug 15 04:55:39 CEST 2023

Thanks JC for taking the time to chime in. Your efforts in recent years
breathed new life into the project, and so many of us have benefited
greatly. It would've been nice to have a way to have my employer contribute
financially to a fund that made it more viable for you/Henrik to spend time
on maintenance.

I agree with others on the need for SSL/TLS these days, or at least some
form of encryption. Many organisations now require comms to be encrypted,
or at least authenticated, using robust, modern cryptography. In my case,
we're periodically asked about our comms, and receive raised eyebrows when
we respond.

I am also sympathetic to the notion that if we have to rely on
encryption on our network, then we have bigger problems. But there are
still reasons why encryption is desirable. For example, when monitoring a
device connected via someone else's network. Or even just to slow down an
attacker that has made her way onto our network, and perhaps even set off
alarm bells when she tries to talk BB in cleartext and without
authenticating, with the attempts generating log messages. Another way to
view it is, "perfect is the enemy of good". I'd prefer to have encryption
and authentication on a network that has an APT ferreting around, than not.

The work-arounds are not ideal for a few reasons. But I suspect the main
one is that there is no consistent and standardised workaround, that every
deployment that requires it tends to use. If everyone simply used the
stunnel solution, then it would end up being well supported by the
community, with lots of help, documented experiences, how-tos and best
practice guides. But I find myself not wanting to make a poor choice, so I
haven't made any choice. I suspect the stunnel option is probably the best
option, but I have a feeling there will be a performance impact.

Not wanting to de-rail the conversation, the main point is that
encryption/authentication is an important factor for me, and the missing
feature is present in alternatives to Xymon. Some of the proposed
alternatives are inadequate, but are still given credence due to the
ticking the "security" boxes. If Xymon had this one feature built-in (or
standardised), and had the occasional bug fix, then it would be treated
with much less scepticism.