Re: [hobbit] hobbit and vmware

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:08:35AM -0500, Francisco Carmona Leon wrote:
> I have a ESX server with nine virtual machines running, some are in
> production, some for development.
>
> Those machines are Windows & Linux.
>
> Vmware has a tools called Virtual Center, where you can see the trace of
> the use of memory, processors, network packets in/out.
>
> I put in the virtual machines the client and I saw a different values in
> the charts.
>
> Talking about memory the Virtual Center says 620M granted and 138M
> active and hobbit says:
>
> Memory    Used   Total  Pctg
> green Physical:     477M    619M   77%
> green Virtual:       37M   2047M    1%
> green Page:         598M   1361M   43%

I don't think you can really compare those numbers from the ESX control
center and the virtual OS counters. Your virtual guest OS sees just that -
a virtual machine, which need not in any way reflect what is actually
used at the physical level of the host OS.

> Now CPU Virtual Center says use 7% guarantee 13% and hobbit says  up: 2
> days, 0 users, 36 procs, load=5%

I don't think Hobbit says "load=5%" - if it does, then it's from a
Windows client. But again, I don't think you can directly compare those
two numbers.

BTW, I'm completely ignorant about ESX server. What does the "use" and
"guarantee" numbers mean?