Re: [hobbit] Alerts Question

Hi, I seem to be having issues with the reliability with the alerts feature.

Look at the /var/log/hobbit/notifications.log and page.log files. You might also want to manually test the alert rules to see how they work

My Hobbit-alerts.cfg is written as followed.

HOST=server1 MAIL number(at)cingularme.com RECOVERED MAIL address(at)company.com RECOVERED

HOST=server2
        MAIL number(at)cingularme.com RECOVERED
        MAIL address(at)company.com RECOVERED

The alert rules I have are written as: HOST=server1 RECOVERED MAIL <phone address> REPEAT=interval MAIL <company address> REPEAT=interval . . .

HOST=* RECOVERED
        IGNORE HOST=server
        IGNORE HOST=server1
        IGNORE HOST=server2
        MAIL address(at)company.com
        MAIL number(at)messaging.nextel.com
        MAIL address(at)company.com
        MAIL address(at)company.com

You can do IGNORE HOST=server,server1,server2 MAIL <address1>,<address2>

I am not using SMS but using the phone provider's email to send test to a
phone. The messages poured in after a hobbit.sh restart, but then the quit
going through. Sometimes only the (at)company recipients go through. Also
for the cell phone emails is there a way I can customize messages sent to
the recipient? Ie. make the text short and sweet, (Server and Service status
only)

-Mike

Yes. I believe Hobbit has a method of doing that by itself, but I use a custom external script, as I needed to slightly modify the way SMS-style messages are sent. It's a short script, so I've included it below. Just stick it into the /var/hobbit/server/ext directory (and make sure it has the execute bit set). Then, create a MAIL rule as below:

SCRIPT /var/hobbit/server/ext/oursms <address> FORMAT=SMS REPEAT
=1h

The "oursms" script:
#!/bin/sh
#VARIABLES:
msg=$BBALPHAMSG         #Full text of message
code=$ACKCODE           #The ack code
host=$BBHOSTNAME        #Host name

# CODE:
#=======
subject="!HB ${code}"  #Subject will read as "!HB <hobbit alert code>"
message="${msg}"
echo "${message}" | mail -s "${subject}" $RCPT

If you want to customize the script to change the way the subject and/or body appear on the pager, look at the section titled "ALERT SCRIPTS" at the bottom of the page: http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/manpages/man5/hobbit-alerts.cfg.5.html