[Xymon] Combo status question

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Mon Nov 2 04:32:59 CET 2015

On Fri, October 30, 2015 4:15 pm, Colin Coe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is it possible to have a combo status for switch ports on non-stacked
> switches?  For example, gi1/0/24 on either switch sw01 or sw02 must be
> up.
>
> Thanks
>
> CC

Well, I think anything is possible :) It depends on how you're modeling
it. Is this something being probed by devmon, or some other type of snmp
utility? If so, then if they're reporting as distinct tests into xymon, it
should just be a matter of aligning your combostatus.cfg tests to boolean
logic around those individual ports / tests: If device1.porta +
device1.porta > 1, then <unified switch hostname>.porta = green.

If by "port" you're more or less meaning "IP address", one way to do it
would be to use the extended "conn={best,|worst,}IP1[,IP2...]"
functionality on your hosts.cfg(5) specification. The problem there is
that you're forfeiting whatever other ping awareness you wanted to have
WRT the device in question.

Honestly, if you're going to be doing a lot of this across lots of
devices, I'd look into writing a channel parser (or intermittent status
query mechanism) that can look at raw data from all the devices at once
(as reported by... whatever's reporting it now), do some unified
evaluations, and report it back as a new column against the device.

This is basically duplicating the intent of the combostatus function, but
with logic specific to what you're looking for out of it.

Again, it depends on how xymon is seeing the port information now...

HTH,
-jc