[Xymon] No Interface graphs for hosts on CentOS 7..

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Mar 12 05:53:12 CET 2015

On 12 March 2015 at 04:42, Rolf Brusletto <rolf at glptrading.com> wrote:

> I googled, and couldn't find anything regarding this, but I'm not seeing
> any interface graphs for hosts with CentOS7 / RedHat 7, and I'm trying to
> understand why. RPMs freshly built from 4.3.18 for CentOS7, the client is
> running 4.3.18, and the server is 4.3.9. Is there some sort of
> incompatability here with the output from ifconfig or ifstat?

The client data parser looks for interface counters in the [ifstat] section
of the client data message. I don't have a RHEL7/CentOS7 system to compare,
but it could be that the format of "ifstat" is different.

First, see if your client messages contain an [ifstat] section.  You can
get to your client message by viewing the "conn" status page for the server
and then clicking on "Client data" link.

Once the client message is parsed, the [ifstat] section is sent to
xymond_rrd via a "data" message.  For Linux servers, the RRD parser uses
the following regular expressions when parsing:

static const char *ifstat_linux_exprs[] = {
        "^([a-z]+[0123456789.:]*|lo:?)\\s",
        "^\\s+RX bytes:([0-9]+) .*TX bytes.([0-9]+) ",
        "^\\s+RX packets\\s+[0-9]+\\s+bytes\\s+([0-9]+) ",
        "^\\s+TX packets\\s+[0-9]+\\s+bytes\\s+([0-9]+) "
};

If it gets the data in the right format, it creates an RRD file for the
server, called ifstat.<interfacename>.rrd.  So check to see if the RRD
files have shown up.

And finally, the default configuration for Xymon is to have "ifstat"
included in the "GRAPHS" variable in xymonserver.cfg.  So that should
ensure that the ifstat graph shows up on the Trends page.  Check the trends
page for the ifstat graph, which should appear immediately after the
"netstat" graph.