[Xymon] client with wrong host name

Michael Beatty Michael.Beatty at sherwin.com
Tue May 15 20:15:10 CEST 2012

I have been using Xymon sucessfully for several weeks on my local
machine as a client / server.  I have now attempted to move the client
portion to another system.  Per the CLIENT.READ me, all I had to do was
create a xymon user and copy the /home/xymon/client directory over to
the cleint.  I started the client and all appeared well.

However, the hostname on that system is generic and doesn't resolve to
the correct DNS.  In other words the host name on that system (1.2.3.4)
is hostname.  However, "hostname" resolves over the network as 4.3.2.1.
So, when the ping test runs, it runs for 4.3.2.1.   Another thing to
note is that on the ghost screen, there is a ghost showing as reporting
from that host... but also shows that the same host name is a
Candidate.  How do I tell Xymon that they are the same thing?

Also,

I am having another problem on the client whereas I'm getting a
"connection refused" when trying to send the the xymon command.  I have
to assume this means that this is local to that machine.  However, I've
got my firewall turned off, so I'm not sure I understand how that can be.

--
Michael Beatty
Sherwin-Williams
michael.beatty at sherwin.com