[Xymon] Flapping Status - "Content OK" for 25 minutes, green but still red?

Tom S tsztur at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:07:27 CET 2012

This flapping has been giving me issues lately.
There is a URL Content check that has a green button on the host page
(meaning it's good) , it says "Content OK" yet the page background is
red and displaying Flapping Status. and on the main xymon page it also
shows red still.  The URL check is good for 25+ minutes yet it's still
marked as flapping, email alerts coming in.

here is the setup:
hosts.cfg:
11.22.33.44 host1.domain.ca #
cont=http;https://host1.domain.ca;Redirecting NAME:"Main Company Prod"

alerts.cfg
HOST=host1.domain.ca COLOR=red
mail test.test at test.com DURATION>2

I even tried to disable flapping in tasks.cfg
[xymond]
        ENVFILE `/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD xymond --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymond.pid \
                --restart=$XYMONTMP/xymond.chk
--checkpoint-file=$XYMONTMP/xymond.chk --checkpoint-interval=600 \
                --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymond.log \
                --admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$XYMONSERVERIP \
                --store-clientlogs=!msgs
                --flap-count=0

In xymond.log it shows:
2012-03-02 11:20:41 Flapping detected for host1.domain.ca:http - 5
changes in 918 seconds .

Those 'changes' only happened while the services were being restarted,
yes there might have been 5 changes (down page, up page, down page
again, then back up) while the balancers were trying to stabilize but
once they did the flapping status didn't change back for 30 minutes or
so!

Xymon is version 4.3.5

Why is this?

TIA!