[Xymon] A couple of migration questions

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at umdnj.edu
Thu Dec 6 20:57:37 CET 2012

Hi all,

Going to upgrade from 4.2.3 to 4.3.10 next week and I want to answer
just a quick couple of questions (I'll outline my setups briefly so
you can warn me if you see a caveat). I have one server running two
Solaris zones, one with a somewhat internal view of our network, one
with a somewhat external view -- both have a xymonnet and
xymonnetagain running. I also have another server running xymongen,
clientdata, alert, etc. that hosts what I'd have formerly called the
BBDISPLAY.

What is going to be happening is I'm moving the latter pieces on the
"display" server to a different server and upgrading to 4.3.10. At the
same time, I'm going to upgrade the xymonnet machines to 4.3.10 and
point them at the new server.

I've really already done all of this, but on an alternate port for the
two xymonnet machines. I plan to change back to the standard port when
I go live with it, and to copy any data to the new live machine that
has changed in the interim.

My questions are:

1) Do the xymonnet machines listen on the Xymon port? They seem to,
but I can't see any reason why they should. If they didn't, I'd
configure the xymonnet machines to use the standard port 1984 to give
me less to do when going live.

2) When I am ready to switch over to the new "display" server which is
the one that has all of the history data and RRD files and all of
that, do I just need to sync the hostdata directory to be sure that
the historical information is not lost, or are there other things as
well (as well as are there things in hostdata I should NOT copy over)?
The RRD files from the old host work on the new host, and I currently
have a running copy of 4.3.10 that was created from upgrading a copy
of the 4.2.3 software on the original machine.

3) I see that xymonproxy cannot share a machine with xymond as they
both use the same port. I assume depending on the answer to question
1, it can share a machine with xymonnet, right?

4) A couple of events (including the recent hurricane we had over
here) have raised the need for a second Xymon server in cases where a
campus will be unavailable for some time. Is using xymonproxy to
distribute this information the way to go in a master/slave situation?
Defining multiple XYMSRV's? Something else?

Thanks for any insights anyone is willing to give.

- --
|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  | |Ryan Novosielski - Sr. Systems Programmer
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent.|IST/EI-Academic Svcs. - ADMC 450, Newark