[Xymon] Disabling systems results in xymond error status?

Mike Burger Mike.Burger at FreedomMortgage.com
Thu Dec 6 16:57:28 CET 2012

While looking at an answer for Tom Schmitt, I opted test by disabling
"ALL" on a couple of my own systems for a minute.

When the scheduled "disable" (i.e. maintenance mode) tasks ran, xymon
threw a yellow alarm for xymond with the following:

Latest error messages:

Ran scheduled task 2 from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: disable host1,my-domain,org.*
1

Disabled by: me @ ###.###.###.###

Reason: Testing

Ran scheduled task 1 from XXX.XXX.XXX.YYY: disable host2,my-domain,org.*
1

Disabled by: me @ ###.###.###.###

Reason: Testing

I'm trying to figure out:

a)      Is this the correct behavior? It seems to me that if you put a
system (or systems) into maintenance, an error state should not be
reported...especially on a scheduled task.

b)      Why is the error state showing up on the xymon server's xymond
indicator?

c)       This may be more my preference than the majority. When the
systems come back from maintenance, if the various monitor statuses
haven't changed since the pre-maintenance period, wouldn't it be better
to have those status indicators reflect that the actual status is the
same as previously indicated (i.e. if disk, memory, msgs, ports, etc all
reflected normal for more than 24 hours...dark green if you're using the
LED theme, for example...my feeling is that unless there is actually an
alarm for those monitors, they should return to the previous state,
rather than a state indicating  a recent ( < 24hr) change.

Thanks.

--

Mike Burger

AIX Administrator

  <http://freedomhome.fhmc.local/intranet/main.jsp>

Phone (317) 537-3680, Fax (317) 537-4680, Cell (317) 797-2040

E-mail:  Mike.Burger at FreedomMortgage.com
<mailto:Anthony.House at freedommortgage.com>

"Once word leaks out that a pirate's gone soft, people begin to disobey
you and then it's nothing but work, work, work, all the time."
--Westley/The Dread Pirate Roberts

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including all attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, alteration or
distribution is strictly prohibited and may violate state or federal law. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail,
delete this email and destroy all copies of the message.