[Xymon] Analysis.cfg settings to monitor Windows SQL services and Ports

Don Kuhlman Don.Kuhlman at schawk.com
Thu Apr 26 23:24:03 CEST 2012

Hi. This is kind of related to the other msg I just sent about the messages getting truncated and whether I should change values in xymonserver.cfg.

I'm setting up SQL and MYSQL server monitors for Windows and Linux servers respectively.

Here is a snip from the analysis.cfg file for two SQL servers on Windows.

    HOST=%SQL TIME=W:0800:1600 GROUP=DBA_GROUP
        SVC ReportServer                        status=started startup=automatic
        SVC MSSQLSERVER                         status=started startup=automatic
        SVC SQLBrowser                          status=started startup=automatic
        SVC SQLSERVERAGENT                      status=started startup=automatic
        SVC SQLWriter                           status=started startup=automatic
        PORT STATE=LISTEN LOCAL=%[.:](1433)$ MIN=1 TEXT=SQL_Port_1433
        PROC ReportingServicesService.exe 1 1
        PROC sqlservr.exe 1 1 TEXT=SQLServer

Here is the alerts.cfg line for the email for the DBA_GROUP

$DBA_GROUP=SCRIPT /home/xymon/server/ext/html_mail.pl don.kuhlman at schawk.com TIME:W:0800:1645 RECOVERED FORMAT=TEXT

I'm not getting what I expect in the emails about these and don't know if it's because  the messages are being truncated or not (xymond.log shows truncate messages).  I'm not getting anything on Port 1433 in the webpages – it's showing Green – Listen (found 33, req. none)

Thu Apr 26 17:20:21 2012 - Ports OK

[green] Listen (found 33, req. none)

Active Connections

Any pointers appreciated.