[hobbit] Agentless clients

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 4 23:49:25 CET 2006

Hi Scott,

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:45:05PM -0500, Scott Walters wrote:

> 	Since you seem to be a fan of 'parse evertyhing on the server'
> have you ever considered adding the ability to have hobbit use 'agentless
> clients" ?
>
> 	By agentless, I mean only the trust relationship between the
> server and client is established, commands and output are done
> 'on-the-fly', every 5 minutes.
>
> 	After writing the VPN/sshbb/email I was thinkin it could be pretty
> easy to add this 'functionality' native to hobbit.

I guess it would, and when I wrote the Hobbit client I did it with this
in mind. It would be fairly trivial to provide a wrapper for the client
side scripts that runs them through a VPN or SSH tunnel.

It's not something that I plan on using myself, but it could easily be
a common add-on to Hobbit. I do prefer to run the clients locally on the
servers because that scales much better than having one server pull all
of this data into Hobbit. Parsing the data doesn't take nearly as long
as collecting it...