[hobbit] Agentless clients

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Jan 5 16:40:31 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 23:49 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:45:05PM -0500, Scott Walters wrote:

> > 	After writing the VPN/sshbb/email I was thinkin it could be pretty
> > easy to add this 'functionality' native to hobbit.
>
> I guess it would, and when I wrote the Hobbit client I did it with this
> in mind. It would be fairly trivial to provide a wrapper for the client
> side scripts that runs them through a VPN or SSH tunnel.

This would be very useful to me - "hobbit central" ala bb-central.

> It's not something that I plan on using myself, but it could easily be
> a common add-on to Hobbit. I do prefer to run the clients locally on the
> servers because that scales much better than having one server pull all
> of this data into Hobbit. Parsing the data doesn't take nearly as long
> as collecting it...

But having one or two servers that poll all of the others does scale
well, because you don't have to install (and upgrade) hobbit clients on
a hundred machines - just set up an rsa key and you are done.  If the
primary hobbit display/alarm/parse work is too much with the polling
added, just use a second hobbit server for polling/parsing and feed the
results to the display server...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX, CISSP # 78281
Austin Energy
dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com

gpg Key: http://austinnetworkdesign.com/pgp.key
Key fingerprint = B527 F53D 0C8C D38B DCC7  901D 2F19 A13A 22E8 A76A