[Xymon] How to test remote ports

Henrik Juul Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jan 19 08:43:56 CET 2023

Den 19.01.2023 kl. 08.13 skrev Christoph Zechner:
>> why are you trying to do it with a client-side test?
>
> Because I thought this was the idea behind the remote port check, but
> I now see my error here.
>
>> You should just add an http test to the configuration and run it as a
>> network test. In hosts.cfg:
>>
>> 1.2.3.4 myhost  # http://1.2.3.4/
>
> This does not test for the port though.

The hosts.cfg entry above _does_ test port 80 by establishing a
connection to the port, sending an http request and verifying the response.

> Port 80 was just an example for a random port, if I wanted to check
> port 3389 on a remote Windows machine, how would I do that?

The protocols.cfg file lists the various network protocols that Xymon
knows about (and you can add your own, if you need any).

Port 3389 is the RDP port, which is one of the protocols Xymon knows. So
to test for that, use

1.2.3.4 myhost # rdp

Add as many network tests as you like, eg. if you want to test host
1.2.3.4 for both http and RDP:

1.2.3.4 myhost # http://1.2.3.4/ rdp