[Xymon] How to test remote ports

Christoph Zechner zechner at vrvis.at
Thu Jan 19 06:57:40 CET 2023

Hi,

On 18/01/2023 23:52, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> I would try *:80 as Josh suggested. It might not be exactly what you
> want, but it might help to narrow down where the problem is.

this would not work, because port 80 does not show up on the xymon
server, it is a remote (Windows) machine.

> What scenario are you trying to alert on? Are you trying to detect when
> there's an established outgoing connection from the monitored host to
> one specific other host?

I want to get an alert, if port 80 (in this example) went down for any
reason on the remote machine, just like I can monitor a port on my xymon
server. This Windows machine is the endpoint of an ipsec tunnel and I
want to monitor its open ports.

> I tend to use regular expressions, perhaps because of the examples in
> analysis.cfg.
>
> In case it helps, here's an example that works for me, albeit from the
> analysis.cfg file (I don't use client mode anywhere):
>
> PORT "REMOTE=%([.:]179)$" state=ESTABLISHED min=0 max=4 color=yellow
> "TEXT=bgp connections out (TCP/179)"

Thanks for the example, but the thing is, I do not have an established
connection to the remote port, I just want to check if its present or
not. :-/

Cheers
Christoph