[Xymon] Decommissioned systems showing in ghosts

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 3 12:07:53 CET 2023

On 03/01/2023 03:08, Colin Coe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I decommissioned (i.e. physically removed) a bunch of Cisco switches
> some time ago but I see that they are still showing in the ghost report.
>
> I've checked hosts.cfg and devmon's hosts db but can't find them.

The ghost report tells you which IP sent the message to xymon, so you
should check there.

If you want to see the full message sent (which will let you see the
full content of the status messages including which test is being
reported), then on your xymon server:

xymoncmd xymon_channel --channel=status --filter=hostname.example.com
tee /tmp/debug

Note that the final arguments ("tee /tmp/debug") can be anything which
reads stdin, and the argument to --filter is a PCRE. If you leave off
--filter you'll see every status message being sent to your xymon server
which could be somewhat overwhelming! You'll need to leave the command
running until whatever is sending the ghost reports has sent a message,
of course, whereupon you can hit ctrl-c.

Adam