[Xymon] Weird devmon issue with Terabithia RPM's

Neil Simmonds Neil.Simmonds at studio.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 12:54:22 CEST 2022

Hi folks,

I'm currently building a new Xymon server and I'm going from Centos 5 running Xymon 4.3.4 to RHEL 8 running Xymon 4.3.30-1. I've also switched to using the Terabithia RPM's and I've gone from the old sourceforge Devmon to the new Github devmon. So all in all, quite a bit of change .

I've had to do quite a lot of changing of paths in config files and scripts due to the different layout when using Terabithia but I'm happy I've made all those changes correctly.

However, when trying to run devmon using "./devmon --readbbhosts -vvvvv" I'm getting an error of

[22-09-29 at 10:41:50] Unable to open file '/etc/xymon/hosts.cfg' (No such file or directory)
Exiting subroutine via next at /opt/devmon/modules/dm_config.pm line 1548 (#1)
    (W exiting) You are exiting a subroutine by unconventional means, such
    as a goto, or a loop control statement.

Label not found for "next FILEREAD" at /opt/devmon/modules/dm_config.pm line
        1548 (#2)
    (F) You named a loop to continue, but you're not currently in a loop of
    that name, not even if you count where you were called from.  See
    "last" in perlfunc.

Uncaught exception from user code:
        Label not found for "next FILEREAD" at /opt/devmon/modules/dm_config.pm line 1548.
        dm_config::read_hosts_cfg() called at /opt/devmon/modules/dm_config.pm line 575
        dm_config::initialize("0.22.06") called at ./devmon line 27

I've checked permissions on /etc/xymon/hosts.cfg and it's 666 (probably only needs to be 644 but I made it 666 to try and solve this)

The only thing I can think of is that I've only got 1 entry in the hosts.cfg file and that's an include for the /etc/xymon/hosts.d directory but that does seem to be being read by devmon as it lists all the checks it's doing before the error.  (EG "Checking if     # testip matches NET:." )

Has anyone seen this kind of error before and have any idea about how I might fix it?

Thanks,
Neil Simmonds.

Studio is a trading name of Studio Retail Ltd which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for consumer credit and general insurance. Studio Retail Ltd are members of the Finance and Leasing Association (FLA). Registered in England. No: 718151. Registered Office: Church Bridge House, Henry Street, Accrington, BB5 4EE NOTE: This email and any information contained within or attached in a separate file is confidential and intended solely for the Individual to whom it is addressed. The information or data included is solely for the purpose indicated or previously agreed. Any information or data included with this e-mail remains the property of Studio Retail Ltd and the recipient will refrain from utilising the information for any purpose other than that indicated and upon request will destroy the information and remove it from their records. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Studio Retail Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. No warranties or assurances are made in relation to the safety and content of this e-mail and any attachments. No liability is accepted for any consequences arising from it. Studio Retail Ltd reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its internal and external networks. If you have received this email in error, please notify our careline on +44(0) 371 200 0378.