[Xymon] localmode, got over-size message, truncating

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Mar 8 07:48:32 CET 2022

Christoph

There's no limit on the client side. The log "Got oversized message,
truncating at ..." comes from xymond running on the Xymon server.

The limit for client messages (where your [ps] output is being truncated)
is defined by MAXMSG_CLIENT, set in xymonserver.cfg, as an integer for the
number of kibibytes (ie, it's multiplied by 1024). The default
MAXMSG_CLIENT is 512 (meaning 524288 bytes).

You've probably set the value correctly, but something else is preventing
it from being used. You can confirm that it's set correctly with something
like:

$ xymoncmd --env=/etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg env | grep MAXMSG_CLIENT
MAXMSG_CLIENT=2048

If this gives the wrong value of 512, then there's something wrong with/in
the file xymonserver.cfg. If this gives the correct value, your xymond
probably just needs to be restarted so that it can pick up the
configuration change.

On Linux you can view the environment of a running process in
/proc/<pid>/env. This pseudo-file has null line terminators so running it
through "strings" makes it more palatable:

$ sudo -u xymon strings /proc/`pgrep -f '^xymond '`/environ | grep
MAXMSG_CLIENT
MAXMSG_CLIENT=2048

If you don't get the value that's set in xymonserver.cfg, kill the xymond
process and it'll restart using the current setting:

$ sudo -u xymon pkill -f '^xymond '

Cheers
Jeremy