[Xymon] I have a problem to report in xymon iterface

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Mar 8 03:24:46 CET 2022

Hi Jose

Can you tell us a little bit about your Xymon installation? What version of
Xymon, how long it's been running, roughly how many hosts total, how many
Solaris, and how many of the Solaris servers are not showing? When were
these problem hosts added to hosts.cfg? Have these hosts ever worked?

Even if ping and port 1984 are not allowed to a host listed in hosts.cfg
with "conn", Xymon will show in the web interface and will have a "conn"
test result of some colour (red or green). If you aren't seeing the server
at all, then it could be one of several issues:

a) The Xymon interface is generated by xymongen, which gets its knowledge
of the existence of hosts from the hosts.cfg file. Normally xymongen runs
every 30 seconds, so it can take up to 30 seconds for a change to appear.

b) The xymongen process constructs the Xymon pages, and then your webserver
serves those pages. If xymongen cannot write to the directory where the
pages are located, then it cannot update the pages. This problem is
unlikely, unless someone has done a clean-up or restored from backup in
such a way as to break the permissions. The directory $XYMONSERVER/www is
usually owned by the "xymon" user and group, and is writeable by the xymon
user. I would imagine this sort of problem would show up in the
xymongen.log file.

c) Your hosts.cfg file might be malformed, so that the hosts in question
are ignored. Perhaps take a look at the xymongen.log file to see if it's
complaining about anything. Perhaps query the xymond process for what it
thinks is in the hosts.cfg file entry for the host, and see if it all looks
correct (eg compare with a host that's working). You can do this with
something like: xymoncmd 127.1 'hostinfo host=hostname'

d) There might be some other reason that xymongen is not happy about the
host entries. If you run xymongen (from tasks.cfg) with the "--report"
option, then it will create a status report for the Xymon server, under the
"xymongen" test. This test status page will show some stats, as well as any
problems it encounters.

e) The server might be on a page that you haven't looked at. Try searching
for the host by name, using the "Administration" menu's "Find host" option.

If the above doesn't shed any light on the problem, there's something else
you can try, to better understand the situation. First, create a temporary
directory, then run xymongen specifying the temporary directory, and then
check that all of your host groups and hosts are showing up there.

mkdir /tmp/testwww
xymoncmd xymongen /tmp/testwww
ls -l /tmp/testwww
grep -r myhostname /tmp/testwww

If the hostname doesn't appear, try running xymonge with the
"--loadhostsfromxymond" option:

xymoncmd xymongen --loadhostsfromxymond /tmp/testwww

and see if that makes a difference. If it shows here, but not before, then
it could be a difference in the way xymongen and xymond parse the hosts.cfg
file. Or a permissions problem of some sort.

Remember to clean out the temporary directory when you're done.

rm -r /tmp/testwww

Cheers
Jeremy