[Xymon] trying to monitor non-standard logfile with server client-local.cfg and failing

POLYAK, TIM P tp6891 at att.com
Fri Jun 24 17:41:48 CEST 2022

Hi,

What I meant by non standard log file was just not the default /var/adm/messages.
Looking at the contents of a different file example /var/adm/6800.log.

Server client-local.cfg file
[Fully-Qualified-Hostname]
log:/var/adm/messages:10240
file:/var/adm/6800.log
log:/var/adm/6800.log:10240

Update I did find my trouble. I was updating 1 of 2 xymon servers correctly the test/backup server but I found the primary xymon server was over writing my changes in the tmp/logfetch.Fully-Qualified-Hostname.cfg after the test/backup server made the changes. I was in a loop where 1 xymon server made the change and the other xymon server changed it back.

Thank you for pointing out the xymon server updates the client tmp/logfetch.Fully-Qualified-Hostname.cfg when you make changes to the servers etc/client-local.cfg

Thanks
Tim