[Xymon] Trying to set up a custom graph

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Mon Jul 18 01:36:43 CEST 2022

Hi Matthew

I'm a bit confused: you say you don't get anything on the status page, then
you say you don't see the column. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your
terminology, but I would have thought you'd need a "cfbytes" column to be
able to click on the coloured dot that takes you to the "cfbytes" status
page? The fact that you have an NCV_cfbytes definition suggests that you
*are* creating a status message, and thus I would expect you to see a
status page for cfbytes, with the contents of the status message. But
you're saying there's nothing on the status page for the "cfbytes" column,
and also that there's no "cfbytes" column.

Are you following the instructions in the custom graphs howto?

https://xymon.sourceforge.io/xymon/help/howtograph.html

If you are indeed getting a column and a status page, just with no graph on
it, then either the TEST2RRD value is not doing its job making
svcstatus.cgi not try to display the graph, or the graph image is broken. I
have to admit, I don't recall seeing the use of "+=" in xymonserver.cfg
before, and I can't find it in any of the man pages, but the code
definitely seems to support it, so I think that's fine.

What you might want to do is to see if the graph works at all. Go to
another page with a graph for the same host, such as CPU, and click on the
graph, then modify the URL and change the "service=la" (or whatever) into
"service=cfbytes" and see if the graphs show. If you see graphs, then
there's something weird with svcstatus.cgi.

On the other hand, if you have a bunch of broken graphs, then rrdgraph is
complaining about something. Typically you don't see rrdgraph problems in
any logs, but you can view error logs by running rrdgraph from a shell,
something like this:

  $ cd /var/lib/xymon/rrd/<hostname>/
  $ rrdtool graph /dev/null --title "Cloudflare traffic" --vertical-label
"Bytes" "DEF:cfbytes=cfbytes.rrd:cfbytes:AVERAGE"
"AREA:cfbytes#00CCCC:time" "COMMENT:\n" "GPRINT:cfbytes:LAST: \: %5.1lf
(cur)" "GPRINT:cfbytes:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)" "GPRINT:cfbytes:MAX: \: %5.1lf
(max)" "GPRINT:cfbytes:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n"

If rrdtool parses your graph definition on the command-line, it will return
an image size, such as "497x193". If it finds problems in what it sees,
it'll return an error message, hopefully indicating what it didn't like.

Cheers
Jeremy