[Xymon] [External] Re: cpu rrd files not being generated

KSpringer kspringer at innovateteam.com
Thu May 27 20:36:44 CEST 2021

    I updated the XymonPSClient to v2.42 just to make sure that wasn't
    the cause.  It didn't resolve anything.
I checked the rrd folders to make sure there wasn't some duplicate hostname folders or something.  There wasn't.

I reviewed the clientlog from both functioning and non-functioning hosts and the cpu data looks the same.  Both show
load=NN.NN%
The difference between them is that the functioning host is 'Win Server 2012 R2 Datacenter' and non-functining one is
'Win Server 2019 Datacenter'.  But if the v2019 was the issue then my other 2019 hosts that are sending their data over
port 1984 wouldn't be working either?

I ran the $XYMON $XYMSRV "xymondlog <hostname>.cpu" and reviewed the content for both hosts.  The content exists and
looks the same, other than the non-functioning one has a LOT more of it.  I'm starting to think the data might be
getting truncated.  But the same lack of cpu graphs are happening for 8 new hosts.  All other incoming data seems
totally fine, just no cpu graphs.

    I looked through the 'Xymon client log' and noticed this message.

    'Payload length reached 2738, greater than 1024'

    I ran into this issue once before long ago when I switched from
    BBwin to XymonPSClient.  The client data coming into the server was
    larger than the default allowed, so it was getting truncated and
    causing purple alerts.  Server default was 512k, so I increased it
    to 1024k and everything has been fine for years.  Now it seems with
    new Windows servers there's more client data coming in.  I'm thinking this may be my current issue, so I just
    increase it to 3072k in the xymonserver.cfg file and restarted
    Xymon Server.  I waited a few cycles and watched the 'Xymon client
    log' for the changes to appear.  It's still showing the same
    'Payload length is greater than 1024' message.  I also restarted the
    XymonPSClient service on the Windows host and it didn't seem to
    resolve anything.  What am I missing here?  The server should be
    allowing larger amounts of client data now.

    Kris Springer