[Xymon] How to run multiple xymonnet processes?

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed May 26 02:55:13 CEST 2021

Hi all

We have a lot of net tests that take a lot of time, mostly DNS. There's not
a lot we can do to reduce the time it takes to run these tests. The end
result is that xymonnet takes in excess of 10 minutes to finish a polling
cycle, causing missing data points in RRD files.

Our Xymon server is not heavily loaded, so it could quite easily cope with
running two copies of xymonnet. But I need a way to distribute the hosts
between the two. Does anyone have suggestions about how to do this?

It'd be neat if I could run xymonnet saying "only run tests for these
hosts" on one instance, and "run tests for all except these hosts" on
another. But this doesn't seem possible. The nearest to this seems to be
the "NET:<netname>" tag, but I don't know how to use the combination of
XYMONNETWORK and "--test-untagged" to do what I need. Also, I'm not sure
that there won't be other side-effects to abusing the NET: tag in this way.

Another idea I had was to construct two new hosts.cfg files from the
original (and all included files) and tell two xymonnet instances to use
these other hosts.cfg files (perhaps by overriding HOSTSCFG?).

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Jeremy