[Xymon] Xymon Encrypting End Points for Azure

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Mar 16 00:07:41 CET 2021

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 08:42, LOZOVSKY, DANIEL <dl1025 at att.com> wrote:

> Thanks Jeremy.  I was thinking about using stunnel which seems more
> straight forward.  Too bad about development being stalled.  Hopefully, it
> will restart soon.  Really need this functionality.

Agreed. The other two foreshadowed features many of us are waiting for are:
full support for SNMP, and IPv6.

There's actually another option for encryption that I didn't mention, but
it can be really useful in some circumstances. Many years ago I wrote a
script that provided an agentless deployment, and it's still in use today.
It works by connecting via ssh, then pushing the Xymon client scripts from
the server to the shell running on the client. The client scripts execute
on the client host, and send its updates to STDOUT, which traverses the ssh
connection, to be injected into the Xymon server.

I've used this technique to monitor hosts that cannot connect directly to
the Xymon server, by using ssh to connect via one or more jump hosts.  All
it needs is a way to get a shell prompt on the client.

More info here: http://tools.rebel-it.com.au/xymon-rclient/.