[Xymon] Gaps in graphs

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Wed Mar 10 23:48:40 CET 2021

On Wed, 10 Mar 2021 at 23:53, Carl Melgaard <Carl.Melgaard at stab.rm.dk>
wrote:

> >Your symptoms suggest that you have a client instance "xymonlaunch
> --config=...client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg" as well as the server instance. However
> your "ps -ef|grep xymonlaunch" only shows one. So I'm puzzled how the
> clientlaunch.cfg file is being processed.
>

> I think it runs from a service, as xymon-client is a seperate package.

Hmm, the Terabithia package postinstall script (from output of `rpm -q
--scripts xymon-client` shows:

# This is a hack, but we don't want to double-bounce xymonlaunch,
# so let the server package handle it if both are installed...
if [ ! -e "/etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg" ] ; then

# add unit file or init script; restart if already running

if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then
        # Initial installation
        systemctl preset xymonlaunch.service >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
fi

fi

This tells me that the client package first checks for the server being
installed (by checking the existence of /ec/xymon/xymonserver.cfg) and if
not, it creates its own service, otherwise it assumes the server package
will do the needful. However, this would probably not work if you installed
the client package before the server package, and possibly cause both
services to be installed. Either way, you should be able to rectify the
situation with the appropriate "systemctl" command.

I guess I’ll try that J Thanks for pointing me right at the answer! Now I
> just have to figure out, why the new server is eating up 10 times more RAM
> than the old server, with the same amount of hosts monitored.
>
> >I note that you've moved quite a few OS iterations from CentOS 5 to RHEL
> 7. The kernel memory management is likely to be a bit different. You
> might find that the extra RAM usage is simply taken up by kernel buffers
> and cache, so isn't really "in use" in the traditional sense.
>

> Is there any way to verify that this is indeed the case?

Memory management and monitoring is something I don't know much about - I
know just enough to know how little I know.

The "real" memory usage graph is seemingly a good indication of actual RAM
utilisation because it excludes buffers/caches. If you're concerned about
Xymon using too much RAM, to the point where it could affect your server's
performance or stability, then I'd recommend opening a new thread to
discuss it.

Cheers
Jeremy