[Xymon] Checking clients from two proxies simultaneously

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Tue Jul 13 01:09:37 CEST 2021

Christoph

In the post you mentioned, Henrick said, "You can have as many hosts doing
network tests as you like; as long as they report to the same Hobbit
server, the results will be merged together." By "merged" I think he meant
that different tests for the same target host would be merged together, but
I don't think he meant that results of the same test would be merged
together. He then went on to talk about splitting the network tests between
the two Hobbit systems - something that wouldn't be necessary if they would
be merged.

If you have the same test run from two different Xymon servers, each test
result simply replaces the previous one, so host B's red replaces host A's
green. They're not merged.

One way to handle this is to have two different pseudo-hosts that you test:
X-via-A and X-via-B. Server A has X-via-A in its hosts.cfg and Server B has
X-via-B in its hosts.cfg file. On C, you define X, X-via-A and X-via-B,
using 0.0.0.0 for the pseudo-hosts (and probably for X too, because you
can't connect directly to its IP address anyway). Then you can use
combo.cfg to create a combined test result like:

X.conn = (X\-via\-A.conn || X\-via\B.conn)

You'd probably need to set "noconn" for X in hosts.cfg.

Cheers
Jeremy