[Xymon] [External] Re: Errors after upgrade to 4.3.29

Beck, Zak zak.beck at accenture.com
Wed Jan 6 17:00:36 CET 2021

Hi Japheth

Thread resurrection, sorry, but some ~18 months later I think I may have got to the bottom of John's issue (as I have a similar issue).

To re-cap, this issue is the error "Checking criteria for host 'whatever', which is not yet defined; some alerts may not immediately fire". This happens on startup and also if you run xymond_alert. It happens if you use the directory directive in hosts.cfg. Originally it was reported on Ubuntu 16, but I have it on RHEL 7 so OS is not a factor.

I've been trying to get to a minimal test case for this, so I can replicate it with a simple hosts.cfg:

page SSL_CERT SSL Certificates
title SSL Certificates

subparent SSL_CERT SSL_CERT_ALL All SSL Certs on one page
directory /home/xymon/server/etc/include_ssl/a
directory /home/xymon/server/etc/include_ssl/z

That's it, that's the entire content of hosts.cfg (apart from comments). I have a couple of files in /home/xymon/server/etc/include_ssl/z but NOT in /a. If I run xymond_alert --test for a host defined in one of the files in /z, I get the error.

If I drop a file in the empty /a directory, and re-run xymond_alert --test for a host defined in /z, it works perfectly. If I remove the file in /a and repeat, the error comes back. The file I drop in can be a file with one line (a comment) - provided there is a file, the error does not occur.

On my "proper" hosts file, which has several hundred hosts and 30-40 directory statements, I have this issue. I checked the included directories and put a one-line file containing a comment in the empty ones. The issue is resolved.

Therefore it seems likely that this error occurs when you have a directory included but it is empty.

Thanks

Zak