[Xymon] http checks red with timeout, xymonnet fast

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Thu Apr 29 11:05:37 CEST 2021

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 18:54, Schrittenlocher, Rolf <
R.Schrittenlocher at ub.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

> I would exclude DNS as Solaris looks first in /etc/hosts before asking a
> nameserver and some of the adressesare included in /etc/hosts. As well,
> ping works fine.

Xymon (typically) uses its own DNS resolver library, so testing that DNS
works for Solaris commands might not give you the same results.

One option you might look into is to run truss (strace on Linux) and attach
it to the xymonnet process. Then when it performs its check, truss will
show you all of the system calls that it makes. You might see it pause on a
particular system call for 15 seconds before continuing on its way, and
knowing that system call might lead you to the cause of the problem.

(It's been many years since I've used truss. I think that dtrace might have
replaced it?)

Good luck with it.

Cheers
Jeremy