[Xymon] xymongrep, was Re: Converting a xymon client to a server

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 07:52:03 CEST 2020

> On Sep 21, 2020, at 20:48, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> IF there's a tag on all hosts of interest, xymongrep might be a better source for such a script than reading hosts.cfg directly, esp. if there are includes in hosts.cfg. QUESTION FOR THE MAINTAINERS: why isn't there an --all option for xymongrep, such that no tag is needed then (but other options like --no-down still apply)? That would make such a script clean, in that it wouldn't matter whether some one specific tag was on all hosts of interest.

I note that xymongrep '*' will get anything with ANY tag. But it will not match a line with NO tags - I tried with a line like
0.0.0.0 bogus #
vs
0.0.0.0 bogus # dork

and xymongrep '*' found the dork, but not the tagless one. :-)

(I quickly removed that after testing, so the server might not notice them, which it didn't, which saved cleaning up some mess)

A line with no tags is not perhaps a super likely thing, but not impossible. IMO, both an --all functionality (get everything, don't specify any tags) and a test negation functionality (like -v for regular grep) would both be handy.