[Xymon] custom email alert sample

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Mon Jul 6 03:52:20 CEST 2020

Kris

On rare occasions, we enable an SMS alerting script, using the SMS format.
We added to alerts.cfg:

$SendSms=/usr/local/sbin/xymon-sendsms.sh
$Mobile1=0123456789
$Mobile1=0123456798

Then:

HOST=%^hostname00[0-3].example.com SERVICE=conn
    SCRIPT $SendSMS $Mobile1 FORMAT=SMS COLOR=red REPEAT=60 DURATION>10
RECOVERED
    SCRIPT $SendSMS $Mobile2 FORMAT=SMS COLOR=red REPEAT=60 DURATION>10
RECOVERED

The script:

#!/bin/sh

# This script is called by the xymon alerts sub-system (see
/etc/xymon/alerts.cfg)
# and simply sends an email to an Email -> SMS gateway.
# The email is sent using the smtp-source program due to mail being
disabled on the
# Xymon server for security and reliability reasons.
# This script expects the following environmental variables to be set when
called:
# BBALPHAMSG   - The full text of the status log triggering the alert
# RCPT         - The recipient mobile number.

LogFile="/var/log/xymon/xymon-sendsms.log"

Sender="xymon@`/bin/hostname -f`"
Recipient="$RCPT at sms.example.org"
Server="smtp.example.org"
Subject="Xymon Alert"

Date="`/bin/date`"
Smtp="/usr/sbin/smtp-source"

{
        echo "Subject: $Subject"
        echo "Date: $Date"
        echo "To: $Recipient"
        echo ""
        echo "$BBALPHAMSG"
} | $Smtp -M `hostname -f` -f "$Sender" -t "$Recipient" -F /dev/stdin
$Server

echo "$Date" >> $LogFile
echo "$Recipient" >> $LogFile
echo "$BBALPHAMSG" >> $LogFile