[Xymon] how to represent status of something not associated with a single host?

Andy Smith a.b.smith at shadymint.com
Fri Aug 21 19:48:51 CEST 2020

Hi,

I have used the combo test to great effect in these circumstances.
Configure a standard network test (eg smtp) on each server, but exclude
the smtp column from the row for that server.  Then configure a combo
test for some made-up server name on separate row, you can play with
NAME in hosts.cfg to display something useful on the page instead of
your made-up name.   My combo.cfg may contain something like this:

MyImportantService.SMTP_PRD.smtp = ( \
server1.smtp && \
server2.smtp \
)

Just a couple of things that caught me out that you may want to beware
of ...

1) Test names are stored internally by first usage and subsequent
matches are done ignoring case, so if for example, dbcheck.pl has
defined a test called "Cluster" then all the following will match :-
      cluster -> Cluster
      CLUSTER -> Cluster
      CluSter -> Cluster
so even if you define your column names in lower case, they will appear
on the display in original case.
2) host names with dashes must be escaped because My-Important-Service
will be interpreted as algebra if it appears on the RHS of any rule.

--
Andy