[Xymon] upgrade recommendations

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Thu Aug 13 01:16:06 CEST 2020

Hi Ricardo

I'd take any opportunity to do a clean install rather than an upgraded one.

If you want to minimise gaps in your graphs, it would be best to minimise
the cut-over time, and make "IP address change" be the cutover event. I'd
build a second server, probably using the Terabithia repo, use rsync to
replicate the RRD files and history, on command, and test the new server
before cutover. I'd probably update one or two clients with two IP
addresses in XYMSERVERS, as part of my testing.

My only concern with a VM is that VMware apparently introduces time jitter,
so if you're doing anything time-sensitive (eg using Smokeping, testing NTP
services) you may see artefacts in your graphs.

Cheers
Jeremy