[Xymon] how to add a specific http timeout

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed May 8 01:41:16 CEST 2019

There's no native option for doing this within the test definition file,
but you can perform a DS override based on the response time to cause
the test to alert regardless.

In an analysis.cfg section targeting your host, place something like this:

HOST=www.example.com
     DS http tcp.http.www.example.com:8280,.rrd:sec >1.0 COLOR=red
"TEXT=Response time &V exceeds &U seconds"

(See analysis.cfg(5) for the precise syntax. The RRD section needs to
match the name of the RRD file for this URL.)

It's a bit inefficient, since you're doubling the number of messages for
this test through the system, but should scale perfectly OK for many
installs. If you have a large number of these (say, 25,000 websites you
want to check with an alternate threshold), then using special NET: tags
(or alternate hosts files completely) and distinct xymonnet instances
will definitely be a better option.

HTH,
-jc